Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"I'm going to sit right down and write myself a letter..."

This song reminds me of New York City in the fall.  Have you ever seen the movie "You've Got Mail".  I just love that movie, in fact, I highly recommend the soundtrack to it OR just type in Michael Buble to your pandora mix and you will most likely get all the songs from the soundtrack.
SO...I thought it would be fun to sit right down and write myself a letter.  Remember doing this when we were 16 or something in English class and we were supposed to write it to ourselves in the past or future or something.  Okay, so maybe we didn't do this in English class, but we probably should have, that would be an interesting letter.  I believe there is a cute country song by Brad Paisley (LOVE his songs) that he talks about writing a letter to himself and sending it back to himself at 17.  Hmmm.  I think that is the theme of this letter now.  A letter to me...sent back to me at 17.

Dear myself,

You are going to be graduating high school soon....wonder what the next chapter in your life is like?  Well, let me tell you, it is fabulous!  Just fabulous...but learn now, patience is a virture.  Don't just say that because you want to believe it...say it because it is true, it will be hard, but you will be happy you learned patience now. 
Don't procrastinate your homework, but even though I've told you that, you probably still will.  Just don't give up...that one I can assure you will stick to. 
Stick to your standards and your morals, you will need to shine to those around you and it will be much easier when you have your standards set high.
I bet you are thinking you will be engaged by Christmas since you are going to BYU and all, but don't be discouraged, you may have to go through a few princes before you find the right one. 
Don't hesitate to call and talk to Grandma every chance you get, she loves hearing your stories. Don't forget about Grandpa though, he loves them almost as much!
Remember that having tear ducts is not a defect, it is hereditary and you might get made fun of for crying, but don't feel bad...cry cry away.  It feels good sometimes. In fact I suggest it at least once a month. 
Don't forget to call mom, she knows when you are in trouble or when you are in a ditch.  I know you know that. Remember that incident when you slid into the ditch on Deer Flat road and the cell phone rang and mom asked, "Where are you??" and you and Jazz giggled nervously and said, "...in a ditch."  Yup, she still knows (that's because she prays like crazy for you...don't forget that).
Don't speed, you never do, but don't think that if you get pulled over ever that you'll get out of the ticket, that's for the girls that cry for the cops...even though you do cry, it won't work on these cops.
Say yes to callings you get, for those callings will shape your life.  They aren't just callings, they are opportunities to serve and to learn to serve again in the future. 
Experience life, don't wait for it to begin. 
If you think it or dream it, do it.  You'll be so excited you did and it will benefit you so much down the road because someday, you won't be 17 anymore and you'll be looking into the eyes of young women that are 17 and think "I used to be her". But at the very same time, they will be looking into your eyes thinking that they will be you someday, I sure hope they like what they see. 
Remember that shining bright business?  You'll be shining, but you will worry if your shining the brightest that you can.  That's a good sign.  See, if you don't even think that others are watching you, then they probably are and they are probably watching something they don't want to watch, BUT if you are concerned about how you act, they will still watch you and they will see something magnificent.
Learn to listen...that listening ear will be a tool that you will use for a long time.  If the ear were a muscle...yours will be buff!
Remember...you aren't Jazz's mom.  Mom is her mom.  Be Jazz's sister.  She loves you as a sister, not as a mom.
Don't be afraid to take leaps, mostly leaps of faith, I wouldn't suggest going bungee jumping or anything.
Make friends that are the kind of friends that when you pick up the phone to talk to them after months of not talking, it's like you never skipped a beat.  Like you are right back in that moment sitting on your bed in your dorm room.  Those are the friends that last forever.  You WILL move away and time will slip by, but they won't be mad at you for not calling, they will be glad that you called no matter how long it took!
You know how you are going to college and you want an education, but you secretly just want to get married (even if that means not finishing college) and have lots of babies and be a stay at home mom...don't lose track of that dream, it is a wonderful dream, but do remember that life is never how we imagine it, its always better.  We just have to learn that our definition of better changes over time. 
Congratulations on making it through the first chapter of life and on graduating high school!  Good luck on the next one (p.s. I've read chapter two...it's a doozy...but a good doozy!!  Enjoy!!)

Love,
Me

This is me at about 17 or 19 with my best friend...you know the ones you can call after not talking for months!

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing, Lex! I loved this post and idea to send yourself a letter. I think I'm going to do this too. You make me try harder to be better because I know the next chapter will be even better. "Experience life, don't wait for it to begin." You are a.m.a.z.i.n.g!

    ReplyDelete